Pot-roasted brisket in beer with parsnips & mushrooms
Posted on 06/01/2016 by henderson
- 1-1.4kg/2-2.3lb boned and rolled brisket
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- large knob of butter
2 large onions, halved and sliced
- 2-3 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 200-250g/8-9oz large flat mushrooms, stalks chopped and heads thinly sliced
- 500-550ml bottle brown ale or stout
- a few fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-2 tsp light muscovado sugar
- 500g parsnips, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- chopped fresh parsley or thyme, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5/fan oven 170C. Wash and dry brisket and season. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a deep casserole and brown beef all over. Remove from pan. Turn down heat, add butter and fry the onions, celery, carrots and mushroom stalks for 6-8 minutes.
- Return beef to pan and add beer, thyme, bay leaves and sugar. Add water if necessary so the liquid comes about two-thirds up the beef. Season, bring to a simmer, cover tightly, and cook in the oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 160C/Gas 3/fan oven 140C and cook for 2 hours, turning twice, until tender.
- An hour before the beef is done, toss the parsnips in oil, season and roast on a baking tray above the beef for 50 minutes-1 hour until tender, turning once.
- Turn oven up to 190C/Gas 5/fan oven 170C. Lift out the beef, tent with foil and keep warm. Stir the parsnips and mushroom caps into the beef juices. Check seasoning; add water if needed. Cover and cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until mushrooms are tender.
- To serve, use a slotted spoon to remove vegetables and arrange round the beef. Spoon off the excess fat from the juices, then whisk in the mustard and pour into a jug. Moisten the beef with a little juice and scatter with parsley or thyme.
as seen on BBC Good Food
We’re all about good recipes, and about quality home cooking that everyone can enjoy. Whether you’re looking for some healthy inspiration or learning how to cook a decadent dessert, we’ve trustworthy guidance for all your foodie needs.
Explore More Recipes
Pot-roasted brisket in beer with parsnips & mushrooms Read More
Ingredients 1-1.4kg/2-2.3lb boned and rolled brisket 5 tbsp vegetable oil large knob of butter2 large onions, halved and sliced 2-3 celery sticks, finely chopped 2 carrots, sliced 200-250g/8-9oz large flat mushrooms, stalks chopped and heads thinly sliced 500-550ml bottle brown ale or stout a few fresh thyme sprigs 2 bay leaves 1-2 tsp light muscovado […]
Click & Collect or Home Delivery Options Available!